A lot of people think that they need to have technical expertise or previous experience with Scrum to sign up for the Certified Scrum Master course but that isn’t the case.
You don’t need to have previous experience with Scrum, nor do you even need to be working in a Scrum environment in order to sign up for the course.
What we do recommend is that you read through the Scrum Guide before attending the course.
The Scrum Guide is a 13-page document created by Scrum co-founders Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber. It introduces Scrum and provides a foundation-level insight into the scrum roles, events, and artefacts.
It is a great way to prepare for the CSM course.
In addition to the Scrum Guide, Agile Centre have created an Agile Foundations online course that will introduce you to the basics of Agile, the Agile Manifesto, and the basics of Scrum.
The course is free of charge to anyone who signs up for the Certified Scrum Master course and a link will be emailed to you upon registration and confirmation of payment for your course.
It is a great way to get a foundation knowledge of Agile as well as Scrum and will make it easier for you to grasp the concepts, theory and practical elements presented in the CSM course.
So, in summary, you don’t need to know anything before signing up for the CSM course, it would simply be beneficial for you to read through the Scrum Guide and go through the Agile foundations online course.
Frequently Asked Scrum Master Questions
- What is Scrum?
- What is a Scrum Team?
- Do Scrum Masters work outside of Software environments?
- Do I need project management experience to become a Scrum Master?
- How does a Scrum Master differ from a Project Manager?
- Is the Scrum Master a member of the development team?
- What is the difference between a Scrum Master and a Product Owner?
- What is the Agile Manifesto?
- What are 3 traits of a good Scrum Master?
- Are there different levels of seniority amongst Scrum Masters?
- Can you create a Scrum environment in a company that isn’t Agile?
- Do I need to be a developer to be a Scrum Master for a software development team?
- How will I know if a Scrum Master role is a good fit for me?
- Must you be an expert in Scrum to become a Scrum Master?
- What are career opportunities for a Scrum Master?
- What do Scrum Masters do?
- What is a daily scrum and do Scrum Masters lead them?
Frequently asked Training and Certification questions
- Do you get course materials and textbooks on the CSM course?
- How well does a CSM course prepare you to be a Scrum Master?
- How well recognised and respected is the Certified Scrum Master course?
- What do I need to know before signing up on the CSM course?
- What is a Certified Scrum Master?
- What is a good certification path for a Scrum Master?
- What will you learn on a CSM course?
- Will I be able to lead a scrum team after doing a CSM course?
- Are there different Scrum Master certifications and how do they differ?
- Do companies invest in CSM courses or is it predominantly individuals?
- How long is the CSM course and how is it configured?
- Is the CSM course theoretical or practical?
- Is there an alumni group for CSM graduates?
- Is there an exam I need to pass to become a Certified Scrum Master?
- What can I do with a CSM credential?
- What is my earning potential as a Certified Scrum Master?